Friday, February 4, 2011

Our Backyard

During the devastating blizzard that we somehow managed to survive this past week, Eli was a little more willing to bear the cold than I was. I did make it outside for some sledding and snow fort building, but the little fellow still had some energy to expend, so we bundled him back up and threw him in the backyard.

Our backyard is something to behold right now. It's pretty much a junkyard. I'm a magnet for free stuff, so there's a neverending collection of scrap lumber, windows, bicycles, and an assortment of used "_______" mixed in with the chicken coop, the straw bale garden, the "junk" shed. So I settled in next to one of our windows to observe our little explorer.

It was SO interesting to watch him pick up random pieces of useless bits of whatever, and try to figure out what he could do with them. Pieces of sheet metal were collected into the wheel barrow. Scraps of wood were lifted, inspected, and usually dropped back down where they came from.

I gave him one bit of guidance. Under no circumstances was he to enter the shed. I described it to him as a death trap for adventurous 5 year olds. Sharp, heavy objects just waiting for someone to pull them down in a murderous pile. To add just a bit more temptation than was reasonable, I had managed to leave the shed door open.

Watching him stare into the cavernous shed of death, pulling together every bit of restraint he could muster, was pretty entertaining. He didn't go inside, but he sure wanted to. And he will, eventually, and that's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment