After reconnecting with the blog world of my friends, I have been inspired to start a new blog for Mr. Fortney and myself to author. Justin has been reading this great book, Manhood for Amateurs by Michael Chabon, which is what inspired the title of this blog (thanks to Micah McCarty for loaning the book to him). He writes about how childhood "is, or has been, or ought to be, the great original adventure, a tale of privation, courage, constant vigilance, danger, and sometimes calamity." He talks about the incredible amount of freedom his parents gave him to explore, in a land ruled by children, where a kid can exile himself for at least some portion of every day from the world of adults. Now, we schedule everything for our kids, driving them from place to place so they never get a chance to discover the unexplored lands between. I want Eli to be able to have this adventure. He needs time when we aren't telling him what to do or what not to do. I'm not sure exactly what this will look like, b/c I don't feel comfortable with him just wondering the neighborhood by himself-at least not yet. But I want to find ways for him to explore and get away from the world of adults.
-Amanda
love this. i strive for this sort of thing for my ladies...i will be watching and reading.
ReplyDeleteJohn and I also read that book and loved it. That part about letting kids explore and be away from the world of adults was one we agreed with and discussed. We are also torn between how to go about this where they aren't quite wandering the neighborhood being molested while still having a sense of freedom. I think my parents farm is going to be awesome for this purpose.
ReplyDelete